Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband and wife are both part of a LLC Partnership 50/50, and live in california, do we still need to file form 1065, please advise

We used to file as  a sole proprietary , but now the LLC , the main member added her husband to be 50/50.   So I believe we have to file form 1065 and give them both a K-1.  They live in California.  Do we still need to file form 1065.  Please advise.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Husband and wife are both part of a LLC Partnership 50/50, and live in california, do we still need to file form 1065, please advise

As Opus pointed out, you have the OPTION to file Form 1065 *OR* file two separate Schedule Cs (an LLC in a non-community property state does not have that option). 

Assuming an extension wasn't filed for the 1065, using two Schedule Cs will avoid the $2800 late-filing penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorpo...

As SweetieJean pointed out, this forum is for TurboTax users.  If you are a tax professional, please post any future questions on a professional forum.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Because CA is a community property state, you can file as 2 disregarded entities/schedule C businesses, each reporting half the income and half the expenses.

What is unclear to me, is whether you MUST do it this way, or could choose to file the LLC partnership return instead.

Who are you in all this?

I am the tax preparer,  they are my clients
And threw a left curve on me when we are finishing their extended return

As Opus pointed out, you have the OPTION to file Form 1065 *OR* file two separate Schedule Cs (an LLC in a non-community property state does not have that option). 

Assuming an extension wasn't filed for the 1065, using two Schedule Cs will avoid the $2800 late-filing penalty.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/election-for-married-couples-unincorpo...

As SweetieJean pointed out, this forum is for TurboTax users.  If you are a tax professional, please post any future questions on a professional forum.

Sorry, but TT is not licensed for use by paid tax preparers. Go here instead:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/proseries/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies