turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How would I enter the 179 depreciation thing for my new "used" tank?

OK, so a few years ago, TurboTax helped me file my taxes when I opened my tank rental business. Everything has been great the past few years and I've had no troubles filing.

In 2017, I bought a 1945 awesome hulking tank to rent and let people drive around the course. It is an awesome course and you can crush cars and everything.

Anyway, it is an old tank but new to me. But I just bought it, can I depreciate all of it or the 50% of it allowance? I just don't want to go to jail. 

Thanks so much!

1 Reply
Expert Alumni

How would I enter the 179 depreciation thing for my new "used" tank?

Add your asset under the Business Assets section of our Schedule C Business to begin depreciating your new tank. TurboTax will walk you through the steps.

Essentially, Section 179 of the IRS tax code allows businesses to deduct the full purchase price of qualifying equipment and/or software purchased or financed during the tax year. That means that if you buy a piece of qualifying equipment, you can deduct the full purchase price from your gross income. It's an incentive created by the U.S. government to encourage businesses to buy equipment and invest in themselves (from www.section179.org).

Link for 179 deduction in 2017 - http://www.section179.org/2011_section_179_expense_deduction.html

So, what is qualifying equipment? See this - http://www.section179.org/property_that_qualifies_for_section_179.html


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies