- Do a Search (upper right) and enter "net operating loss" (without the double quotes)
- Click on the "jump to" result
- Enter your NOL on the screen that appears.
Note, if you did your taxes last year with TurboTax and generated an NOL carryover, then in many cases, TurboTax will carryover the NOL automatically to the next year. Check for this in case it appears that your NOL carryover is being double-entered in your 2019 tax return.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
If for some reason you cannot locate the NOL entry screen using a search, take a look at the screenshot below. Also, although it is a good idea to check all transfers from previous years, I have yet to see a test return I have prepared transfer an NOL into the following year's return; you need to calculate and enter the NOL manually.
In your 2019 tax return there will be a worksheet showing your NOL carryforward. If you are unable to locate that you can use the worksheets.
They can be found in IRS Publication 536.
Once you determine the correct amount, you can include the carryover in your 2020 tax return by following the steps above, placed here for your convenience.
- Do a Search (upper right) > Type net operating loss > Press enter
- Click on the Jump to result
- Enter your NOL carryforward on the screen that appears