turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eso831

How do I enter the class action lawsuit?

How do I enter the TurboTax class action lawsuit settlement?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

116 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Are you referring to the settlement with the states that was announced today? That's not a class action lawsuit. If you are eligible for the settlement, a notice and a check will be sent to you automatically. You don't have to do anything.

A federal judge this week rejected a proposed $40 million settlement between Intuit, the company behind TurboTax, and a Class of consumers suing the company for allegedly directing them away from the TurboTax free edition even though they were eligible to use it.

As a result, many of the consumers participating in the class action lawsuit entered into arbitration with Intuit.

Shortly after that happened, the company and the plaintiff’s legal team worked out a proposed settlement that called for $28 million to be paid to the Class Members – which reportedly would have netted them $56 each if 7.5%  (that equates to 6.67 million eligible or 1/2 million filing claims) of those eligible submitted a claim form. The lawyers representing the consumers would get $10 million plus litigation expenses.

the lawyers become millionaires and the consumers get the shaft. 

since is not settled it's unclear how you participate or enter into arbitration.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Mike9241 wrote:

A federal judge this week rejected a proposed $40 million settlement . . .

@Mike9241  That article is from December 2020, well over a year ago.

Judge Rejects $40M Intuit TurboTax Free Edition Class Action Settlement

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/business/turbotax-intuit-settlement.html

The settlement will affect 4.4 million customers eligible for the I.R.S. Free File program who were maneuvered to use TurboTax’s free edition in the tax years 2016 through 2018. Customers will be notified automatically and sent checks amounting to roughly $30 for each year that they were compelled to pay for TurboTax.

I haven't received anything and I've used TurboTax since 2015. How and when will I be compensated?

No one here has any details. See the link to the press article above.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Fabby713 wrote:

I haven't received anything and I've used TurboTax since 2015. How and when will I be compensated?

@Fabby713  The settlement was just agreed to a couple of days ago. It's going to take some time for the Oversight Committee to send out the notices. And not everyone who used TurboTax will get a payment. Several requirements have to be met. See the official settlement agreement for all the details.

I have uesed them for over ten years wondering if I will get anything the web site always said free but I had to pay ever time and my are easy to file 

@nitehawk3124 

For future reference ... if your  return qualifies ( form 2021 your AGI had to be $73K or less)   you should be linking into one of the IRS FREE FILE options here instead of using a paid program :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Then they should say it's free when it's not and this year I did my taxes and they give me more money but the irs said they missed up and I paid almost what I got back I wasn't happy about that 

Chances are really good it was a user entry error in either the advance CTC payments or the third stimulus payment you got last year ... the program works with what you entered.  

If the IRS has reduced your refund, they will be sending you a communication explaining why they reduced the amount of your refund.  Once you know the nature of the problem, you may be able to correct the problem by amending your 2021 Federal tax return.

If you did not receive $1,400 for the third stimulus payment, the IRS may think that you were already issued the third stimulus payment.

At your IRS online account, you can find whether a payment was issued to you that you did not receive.  You can also find this information on your tax transcript.

If you need to trace a payment that the IRS says has been issued to you, mail or fax a completed IRS Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund.

I've used Turbo Tax for many years.  To get started with any return, they have several options which to pick.  I've always clicked on the free one, but at the end of the filing, was always, always charged.  This year, my fee was something like $90+.  I tried contacting them to ask where this fee came from, where was the "free" filing they had.  Never heard back & filed elsewhere.

So it sounds because I've filed with them for years, I don't have to do anything at all and a check will be sent to me?  I hope I understood this message correctly.  If so, sounds good!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@edraper10 wrote:

So it sounds because I've filed with them for years, I don't have to do anything at all and a check will be sent to me?

@edraper10

That is correct. You don't have to do anything. A notice and a check will be sent to you if you are a Covered Consumer as defined in the settlement agreement.

Here is the definition of "Covered Consumer."

"Covered Consumer" means any individual, or individuals if a joint return was filed, who in Tax Years 2016, 2017, or 2018 was (1) eligible to use an Intuit IRS Free File Product; (2) began his or her tax returns using a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (3) was informed that he or she was ineligible to use a TurboTax Free Edition Product; (4) subsequently paid to use a TurboTax Paid Product, and (5) had not used the Intuit IRS Free File Product in a previous tax year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies