Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I deduct my business vehicle that I bought from it's lease in 2019? The date I became the owner is after the date I started using it for business.

My vehicle was new when I leased it in 2016, and I started using it for business that December, then bought out the vehicle in 2019. My research from other answers to questions shows a couple of things (please correct if either is wrong):

1. It would be considered purchased used.

2. I would have to mark that I stopped using this vehicle for business in 2019, and add another separate instance of the vehicle that starts from date of purchase. To complicate the situation, I purchased it in the middle of the year, so the expenses are split between the leased time and the owned time.

Also, if I do need to add it as a new separate instance of the vehicle, can I take the standard deduction despite having taken the actual expense for the first year it was leased?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I deduct my business vehicle that I bought from it's lease in 2019? The date I became the owner is after the date I started using it for business.

1. It would be considered purchased used.  yes ... it is used

2. I would have to mark that I stopped using this vehicle for business in 2019, and add another separate instance of the vehicle that starts from date of purchase. To complicate the situation, I purchased it in the middle of the year, so the expenses are split between the leased time and the owned time.  yes ... you have 2 cars to report ... one was leased and one you bought even though it was the same car

View solution in original post

3 Replies

1. It would be considered purchased used.  yes ... it is used

2. I would have to mark that I stopped using this vehicle for business in 2019, and add another separate instance of the vehicle that starts from date of purchase. To complicate the situation, I purchased it in the middle of the year, so the expenses are split between the leased time and the owned time.  yes ... you have 2 cars to report ... one was leased and one you bought even though it was the same car

So in Turbo Tax, when I edit information for the "old" (leased) vehicle, should I check, "I stopped using this vehicle in 2019."? And when it asks on the next screen whether I own, lease, or it isn't mine, would I select lease for this one, and own for the other instance of the vehicle? Or would I selected own for both instances? I am pretty sure that selecting lease for the first instance and own for the 2nd is the correct course to take, but I'd like to be certain.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would say you leased the vehicle that you stopped using and own the one that you purchased in 2019.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies