amyjgreenberg

home office deduction

I am on extension for 2020 and trying to finish and file. I moved during the tax year 2020 and had 2 home business addresses but not at the same time. the program will not let me take a standard method for the home office expense. the offices were of a different size from each other, Need help to properly enter in the turbo tax soft ware so I can claim the home office deduction

home office deduction

Once you complete the first home office entry the program will allow you to enter a second home office. Make sure to enter the expenses for the timeframe the office was being used by each home. Go slow and be patient.

GeorgeDenseff

home office deduction

Use the home office where you were working on December 31, 2020. 

home office deduction

Carl

home office deduction

Your SCH C will show two home offices. One for the old home, another for the new home.

Close the old home office on or before the date you moved out of the old home.

Open the new home office on or after the date you moved in.

Ensure the dates do not overlap and you'll be fine.