turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mi State Requires me to file a separate form for "Excess business loss". What is "Excess Business Loss" ?

I did take the special depreciation that the IRS allowed this year for purchase of a new truck that is Sch C 100% bs. use. Could that have triggered "excess losses" for MI?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mi State Requires me to file a separate form for "Excess business loss". What is "Excess Business Loss" ?

From the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-guidance-on-changes-to-excess-business-and-net-operating-los...

"An excess business loss is the amount by which the total deductions from all trades or businesses exceed a taxpayer’s total gross income and gains from those trades or businesses, plus $250,000, or $500,000 for a joint return.

Excess business losses that are disallowed are treated as a net operating loss carryover to the following taxable year.

See Form 461 and instructions, available soon, for details."

View solution in original post

1 Reply

From the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-guidance-on-changes-to-excess-business-and-net-operating-los...

"An excess business loss is the amount by which the total deductions from all trades or businesses exceed a taxpayer’s total gross income and gains from those trades or businesses, plus $250,000, or $500,000 for a joint return.

Excess business losses that are disallowed are treated as a net operating loss carryover to the following taxable year.

See Form 461 and instructions, available soon, for details."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies