patmag

Filing final tax returns and dissolving S Corp

Hello. Due to the pandemic my S Corp lost all of its clients and did not bring any income since March 2020. I want to close the business and final a final tax return. The company was formed in New York but it was ran in Florida. 

The company used my personal vehicle in 70% but only until end of March so I entered a 15% for business use. The car was claimed as assets since 2016 and had a 5 year amortization life. . I am not sure if I have to do anything to take it out from the asset before filing the final return and dissolving the business. Are there any additional forms or items which I need to fill out?

Do I need to do anything else besides marking the Final Return checkbox on federal tax return and NY state tax return?

Thank you!

MaryK1101

If you did not have employees, winding down the business is easier.  For an S corporation you must:

• File Form 1120-S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation for the year you close the business.
  • Report capital gains and losses on Schedule D
  • Sale of Business Property for each sale or exchange of property used in the business- this would apply to the S Corp business automobile.  

See IRS Closing a Business.  You also want to make sure you cancel your business registration with the secretary of state in the states you filed in. 

NOTE:

If  it was an S Corp and the car was not titled in the SCorp name, you cannot take the depreciation as a business expense- you would need a reimbursement policy for the personal use of your vehicle for the business.  You need to correct that and since it has been a few years, you should seek a tax professional.