turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jds1855
Returning Member

Excess Solo 401(k) deferral is raising my federal tax owed in TurboTax and lowering my QBI, even though it was distributed back to me in the same year

In 2023, I accidentally over-contributed $18,500 to my Vanguard Individual 401(k) because, in a moment of stupidity, I forgot to account for my work’s 401(k) plan, which I essentially maxed out.

I contacted Vanguard and got the full amount of the excess contribution returned to me the following month, still in 2023. It had lost about $200 in value, so the total amount returned was almost exactly $18,300. As far as I’m aware, completing all of this in 2023 removes any penalties or tax burdens for this mistake.

I’m doing my taxes in TurboTax, and I’ve input the original $18,500 as an Elective Deferral into my Individual 401(k) plan. I’ve also input the 1099-R that Vanguard provided me from the $18,300 distribution, including code 8 that is listed in box 7 (excess deferrals taxable in 2023). After inputting these two items and changing nothing else, TurboTax is now calculating that I owe an additional $896 in federal tax, and $40 more in state tax.

I’ve discovered that adding these two amounts is decreasing my business income, and thus reducing my Business Income Deduction in TurboTax by roughly $3,600. I think this is because the $18,500 deferral reduces my business income, and the $18,300 distribution adds to my non-business income. I believe this change to the source of the $18,500 income is erasing the tax break that $18,500 should be benefiting from, but I cannot figure out how to fix this, or if I even am supposed to be able to fix it.

I’m at a loss of what to do, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Excess Solo 401(k) deferral is raising my federal tax owed in TurboTax and lowering my QBI, even though it was distributed back to me in the same year

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies