Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

psdfsd

Does Turbo tax Business efile CA FORM 568 for single member LLC or only for multi member LLC? I'm hearing different answers on that

This question is regarding filing 2020 taxes.  For Turbo Tax Self-Employed, do I have to print and mail Form 568 if I own a Single-Member LLC?    

Does Turbo tax Business efile CA FORM 568 for single member LLC or only for multi member LLC? I'm hearing different answers on that

Yes, you do, as well as the 3522, the 3536, the biannual verification of status, and the online request for waiver for e-filing the 568 (simple task). Paperwork, paperwork. 🙄

I just completed my CA state taxes using Home and Business and including my single-member LLC.  However, I can't find the CA form 568 anyway, even to print out and mail.  It's not in the list of forms.  Any one know where to find that? 

Humm. Not sure why. I use Home & Business also and it was in with my California return. You can still go to the ftb.ca.gov and get it. While you are there file the request for waiver to e-file, and get the 3522 & 3536 forms.

I ran into the same problem with TurboTax Online Premier. 

Here TurboTax expressly says in-product (wish I could attach the screenshot): "E-filing Form 568 is required to complete your single member LLC tax return. We'll e-file your Form 568 for you when you e-file your state return if your return only requires a single Form 568. 

We don't support e-filing Form 568 when you have more than one single member LLC. If you need to file multiple Form 568s, follow the instructions to request a waiver. You will need to print and mail your Form 568s. (This is not common.) 

California only allows people to print and mail Form 568 with a waiver."

When calling, CA FTB confirmed my Form 568 was not e-filed. Last week, TurboTax support confirmed this must be a product glitch and that they cannot provide Form 568 for you. Instead, you can find that to print here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2020/2020-568.pdf

As mentioned in the thread, you need to request the e-file waiver from CA FTB here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/tax-pros/efile/busi[product key removed]r-request.asp.

I recommend writing to [email address removed] as well to confirm approval of your waiver (to get the paper trail).

Following your e-file waiver approval, you need to print Form 568 (link above) and mail it in to CA FTB here: FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942857, SACRAMENTO CA [social security number removed]. 

Also to address the two additional forms introduced above: 

Re: Form 3522 for Annual LLC Tax: You don't need to submit if you pay Web Pay at ftb.ca.gov/pay. See here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-3522.pdf

Re: Form 3536 for Estimated Fees for LLCs (based on income threshold): Again, you don't need to submit if you pay Web Pay at ftb.ca.gov/pay. See here: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2021/2021-3536.pdf

Update: You can complete and print Form 568 in TurboTax Online Premier. (true for SMLLC)

Edit/Amend State Tax: 

Business -> Business Profit or Loss Adjustment -> Business Summary -> Edit Principle Business -> Print Form 568

maryamk
Returning Member

I just called TT Live Help and they confirmed that for 2020 Form 568 *is* e-filed.  I am in the same boat as you; single member LLC with Form 568 in my CA returns.  I used TT Self-Employed online version to do and file my taxes for 2020.  E-filed last week.  The TT tax advisor who I spoke with said that 2019 could not be e-filed, but 2020 is being e-filed, and she had me look in my tax return pdf to put my mind at ease.  I had seen the form in there, but wasn't convinced it was actually e-filed since I was seeing all sorts of different answers in the TT community; not sure I'm fully convinced even now.  She said I need to wait 21 days before it shows up in the FTB system (under my account).  Lots of confusion.  Wish we could have someone who possibly filed early, at least 21 days ago, to check their FTB business account and let us know if they see they received Form 568.  

RJB21

No. It states you may need to delete a related Federal Form.

I just used Home and Business for my personal and single-member LLC returns, and I too could not find 568 in the printed version. My 2019 returns has the voucher and the form which I printed and sent by mail. Not sure if I missed anything (like checking a box?) while using TurboTax (likely not). Any similar experiences? 

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes, Form 568 can be e-filed now for tax year 2020, but you must be filing for only a single Form 568. If you do need to mail it in, then you also need to click to get a waiver from the e-filing requirement: California business entity e-file waiver request.

To check if your Form 568 has been e-filed, download the PDF. 

• To do this in TurboTax Online, follow these steps:
    • From the left menu, select Tax Home.
    • Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show
    • Select 2020.
    • Navigate to the option to download the PDF of your return.
      • The forms are named in the top left and lower right hand corners of each page.
  • To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, navigate to the Print Center in the top right corner of the window.

See awesome TurboTax Employee Expert @DawnC's comment and screenshot here:

If you look on Form 568, p 1-2, at the bottom, there is a notice. If the box is checked, you have to mail the form, as it can't be e-filed.   But if that box is not checked, it appears the form can be e-filed with the rest of your return.  As long as your Form 568 does not include one of those exceptions, it can be e-filed.

For more information, see 2020 FTB California Limited Liability Company Filing Requirements.

@maryamk

@jane5446

@RJB21

@MaddyPi

techguru
Returning Member

This post was extremely helpful but it would have been even MORE helpful if Turbotax indicated with instructions that this was required.  Fortunately I knew i had to submit this but it is not good that TurboTax does not warn you to file forms that it does not do.

techguru
Returning Member

yes, had the same experience. could not even find by searching for forms. I had to go the .gov website to make sure it still was required. It should be noted that Mac version doesn't even have a print section to look for the forms so you just need to know.

after we mail the 568 do we wait need to wait until they got the documents before we pay 3588 online?

Hello i have a question, do you know how and when we can pay 3588 after mailing the 568?

I did Webpay so you don't have to send in 3588. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies