Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know why I have to fill out a form 3800? I have no idea why or how I got to that and I can't proceed unless I complete it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Does anyone know why I have to fill out a form 3800? I have no idea why or how I got to that and I can't proceed unless I complete it?

Form 3800 is for General Business Credits. File Form 3800 to claim any of the general business credits or claim carryovers from a prior year. 

Based on the message you are receiving, it sounds like you are either eligible for one of these credits or you have a carryover from a prior year.

To work on this form, enter "3800, general business credit" In the Search/Find box located in the upper right of the program screen.  Click on Jump to 3800, general business credit. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, all you basically said was to go back and fix it.  How about telling us how to fix it?  Turbotax created the for automatically and now we are supposed to know how to correct its errors?  Not cool.

Srbankert
Returning Member

ok, I searched as you recommended but there is no answer in the results, but I do get this thread again, like a circular reference.  How about a solution to the problem?  I can't continue until I complete a form, but there's no reference to where to find the information.  Could turbo tax just import this from last year please?

Assuming you have a home business loss, or you had one the previous year, a carryforward amount is going to be on the bottom of form 8995 Qualified Business Income Deduction Simplified Computation. At least, mine is.  Mine lists, on line 2, the total loss from 2019. Line 3 has the loss from 2018.  THEN, on line 16, it lists the carry forward amount that will be carried forward to my 2020 taxes.

I'm not an expert, but my best guess is that you'd enter the amount on line 16 on form 3800.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies