Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file form 1045 even when I am carrying forward the NOL? Or only schedule A-NOL is enough? I incurred NOL in 2016 tax return. Can I file 1045 or sched A now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to file form 1045 even when I am carrying forward the NOL? Or only schedule A-NOL is enough? I incurred NOL in 2016 tax return. Can I file 1045 or sched A now?

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe the CARES act changed the NOL carryback rules and NOLs for 2018 can once again carried back. 

That is correct.

However, the statement made by @ColeenD3, referring to the NOL, that "The program would have calculated it [the NOL] and done it for you" is not correct; TurboTax neither calculates nor carries forward an NOL.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

No, a Form 1045 is not used to carryforward an NOL.

An individual, estate, or trust files this form to apply for a quick tax refund resulting from:

• The carryback of an NOL,
  • The carryback of an unused general business credit,
  • The carryback of a net section 1256 contracts loss, or
  • An overpayment of tax due to a claim of right adjustment under section 1341(b)

If you did your return in TurboTax last year, it will carry forward to Line 21, if you elected to forgo the carryback,

How would the election to forgo a carryback have been done? I feel like I should be able to do a carry over for 2019 from my losses in 2018, but I cannot make sense of 1 how to determine the right amount 2 how you prove it and  i would rater just pay some one to do this part for me. ugh

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

@sweetsima73

As of the end of 2017, there was no longer an option to forgo the carryback, since you were'n t allowed to carry back.

Most taxpayers no longer have the option to carryback a net operating loss (NOL). For most taxpayers, NOLs arising in tax years ending after 2017 can only be carried forward. The 2-year carryback rule in effect before 2018, generally, does not apply to NOLs arising in tax years ending after December 31, 2017.

If you had an NOL in 2018, you would have had no option but to carry it forward. The program would have calculated it and done it for you.

If you did not do your taxes in TurboTax, search for NOL and then click "jump to NOL" and you will see the screen below.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the CARES act changed the NOL carryback rules and NOLs for 2018 can once again carried back. 

Ref.: https://www.grantthornton.com/library/alerts/tax/2020/Flash/IRS-issues-expedited-NOL-carryback-filin...

@Anonymous wrote:

That is correct.

However, the statement made by @ColeenD3, referring to the NOL, that "The program would have calculated it [the NOL] and done it for you" is not correct; TurboTax neither calculates nor carries forward an NOL.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies