Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DO I FILE A DEPRECIATION SCHEDULE IF MY BUSINESS IS CLOSED AND ALL ASSETS WERE SOLD

JUST WONDERING IF I DEPRECIATE ANYTHING AT ALL SINCE EVERYTHING WAS SOLD AT THE CLOSING OF THE BUSINESS. IF NOT, THEN WHERE DO I APPLY THAT LOSS AS EVERYTHING WAS SOLD OFF FOR LESS THEN ITS VALUE...  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

DO I FILE A DEPRECIATION SCHEDULE IF MY BUSINESS IS CLOSED AND ALL ASSETS WERE SOLD

You will go through and "edit" each Asset and indicate it was sold, and enter the sales information.  TurboTax will then claim a partial year of depreciation, and report the sale.

However, did you ONLY sell the assets, or did you sell the entire business?  Is this a corporation, or is it a partnership, or is it a Sole Proprietorship (Schedule C on your personal tax return)?

Ok ... you will have depreciation for the time you did own the assets and then you will sell off all the assets and the losses (& depreciation recapture if any) will show on the form 4797 ... just follow the program interview step by step. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies