Solved: Can I use TurboTax Self Employed if I am an S Corp?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryanjarnold

Can I use TurboTax Self Employed if I am an S Corp?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Carl
Level 15

No. You have to use TurboTax Business (different from Home & Business) to file an 1120-S tax return for the S-Corp. Using that program, the S-Corp will issue you a K-1, which you will need for your personal tax return. So you can't even start your personal return, until you have completed the 1120-S corporate tax return.

TurboTax Business is not available as an online product, and is not available for MACs. Windows only. You can purchase the CD/Download that you will download and physically install on your windows computer at https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/?srqs=null&cid=ppc_gg_b_stan_all_na_Brand-Business_...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

No. You have to use TurboTax Business (different from Home & Business) to file an 1120-S tax return for the S-Corp. Using that program, the S-Corp will issue you a K-1, which you will need for your personal tax return. So you can't even start your personal return, until you have completed the 1120-S corporate tax return.

TurboTax Business is not available as an online product, and is not available for MACs. Windows only. You can purchase the CD/Download that you will download and physically install on your windows computer at https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/?srqs=null&cid=ppc_gg_b_stan_all_na_Brand-Business_...

View solution in original post

r_schleufer

I think this needs more clarity.

I have a CPA handle my S-Corp to generate the 1120-S and K-1.

Which version of TurboTax is needed for my personal returns? Small Business, since I operate from a home office?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have a CPA handle the S-Corp return, then you would need Premier to process the 1120-S, K1 and W2.

For your home office, you would either have to have the S-corp pay you rent for the home office or pay you for the costs of a home office under an accountable plan for employee business expense reimbursement. You can find more information here.

In either case Premier would be fine. 

@r_schleufer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sjlocke
Level 2

You don't need Premiere.  Deluxe works just fine and handles those things.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings