turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rnlmen001

Can I set up a business in Turbo Tax?

I started to add my small business to turbotax home and business. There is no area to input expenses. The help states that I must set up my business in turbo tax. I can't find how to set up a business in turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Here's how to fill out the schedule C in Home & Business version.
You need to report all your income even if you don't get a 1099Misc. You use your own records.  You are considered self employed and have to fill out a schedule C for business income.  Enter it under…..
The Business Tab - Continue
I'll choose what I work on
Business Income and Expenses
Then….
Profit or Loss from Business, click Start or Update

You use your own name and ssn or business name and EIN if you have one.   You should say you use the Cash Accounting Method and all  income is at risk.  After you put in your income and expenses  if your net profit is $400 or more you will pay 15.3% for 2013  Self Employment tax in addition to your regular income tax.  The Schedule SE will be automatically filled out for it.

After it asks if you received any 1099Misc it will ask if you had any income not reported on a 1099Misc. You should be keeping your own records.  Just go through the interview and answer the questions.   Then you will enter your expenses.

To enter expenses
Go to Business tab- then Continue
Business Income and Expenses - Click the Start or Update button

Then click EDIT by the business name and the next screen should be a list of  topics,
Business Profile, Income, Inventory/Cost of Goods Sold, Expenses, Assets, and Final Details last.

Under Business Expenses, Click Start or Update by Other common business expenses.  You should see the list of expenses and amounts you entered.
Then click the start or update button by the expense you want to add or edit.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies