Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

maryhartzell
Returning Member

Can I put undeliverd prepaid purchases on Part V schedule C? If not how do I handle the writeoff?

I did a prepaid  payment of a order and received only part of the order.  I have tried to contact the vendor and got no reply.  I would like to write off the undelivered amount since I had to buy the merchandise from another source.  I cannot get the vendor to return my money  Can I use Schedule C Part V or how do I handle this..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Can I put undeliverd prepaid purchases on Part V schedule C? If not how do I handle the writeoff?

You actually don't need to "write off" the undelivered portion of your order. If you report the full amount you paid as a Business Expense, you are taking a deduction for the entire order, whether you received it or not. However, if you receive a refund next year, you would need to report the refund as income to offset the expense from this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You actually don't need to "write off" the undelivered portion of your order. If you report the full amount you paid as a Business Expense, you are taking a deduction for the entire order, whether you received it or not. However, if you receive a refund next year, you would need to report the refund as income to offset the expense from this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies