Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cdj1941

Can someone explain exactly how I report a cash distribution to partners from a Sub-S partnership? It seems this is done on Line 19a of Form 1065 but I am not sure.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can someone explain exactly how I report a cash distribution to partners from a Sub-S partnership? It seems this is done on Line 19a of Form 1065 but I am not sure.

Cash distributions are reported on the 1065 Sch K line 19(a) and on each partner's K-1 box 19 Code A in proportion to the ownership.

They will also be reported in two other places depending on how you respond to form 1065 Sch B question.  If the answer to this question is "No", then they will also be reflected on Sch M-2 line 6(a) and also on the respective partner K-1 Section L.

If you respond "Yes" to the above question, then the distributions will not be reflected on the M-2 or K-1 Section L.  Those areas will be blank in accordance with the instructions.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Well we need to get the facts straight first.  You are asking about a Sub S but then refer to a form 1065 which is filed for a partnership.
Or are you saying that your partnership owns an interest in an S corporation and received distributions from the S corp?
cdj1941

It is a family limited partnership which reports on Schedule K-1

You didn't answer my question.  Don't understand "Sub S partnership"
cdj1941

Because tax is not paid by the partnership but by each partner on their individual tax returns.

I understand how partnerships operate.  I want to understand why you are using the phrase "Sub-S partnership".  Please read my original response.
A Sub-S and a partnership are two different entities.
cdj1941

It is a partnership as I stated.  I am simply asking where and how how I enter distributions to partners in TurboTax form 1065. Forget the mention of Sub-S if you wish.

Cash distributions are reported on the 1065 Sch K line 19(a) and on each partner's K-1 box 19 Code A in proportion to the ownership.

They will also be reported in two other places depending on how you respond to form 1065 Sch B question.  If the answer to this question is "No", then they will also be reflected on Sch M-2 line 6(a) and also on the respective partner K-1 Section L.

If you respond "Yes" to the above question, then the distributions will not be reflected on the M-2 or K-1 Section L.  Those areas will be blank in accordance with the instructions.

JohnGH
Returning Member

Rick, I'm assuming that the schedule B question is #12.  I don't understand the question, what determines when one answers it Yes or No?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies