Solved: As trustee for supplemental needs trust fund, fund received Form 1099-INT for $262 interest from CD bought w/trust funds. Does trust fund need to file income tax? Form? .
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

As trustee for supplemental needs trust fund, fund received Form 1099-INT for $262 interest from CD bought w/trust funds. Does trust fund need to file income tax? Form? .

$262 interest is only income for 2018. Supplemental needs trust fund established several years ago for my sister who receives SSDI as her sole source of income.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 15

As trustee for supplemental needs trust fund, fund received Form 1099-INT for $262 interest from CD bought w/trust funds. Does trust fund need to file income tax? Form? .

"Does trust fund need to file income tax? Form? ."

If the trust was established with your sister's own assets, then chances are that the trust is a grantor trust and, as a disregarded entity, the interest income can be reported on her income tax return.

If the trust has its own taxpayer ID number (EIN), or is otherwise a nongrantor trust, then the trust will file an income tax return on Form 1041 because it has taxable income for the year (defined as gross income less deductions).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132225648

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 15

"Does trust fund need to file income tax? Form? ."

If the trust was established with your sister's own assets, then chances are that the trust is a grantor trust and, as a disregarded entity, the interest income can be reported on her income tax return.

If the trust has its own taxpayer ID number (EIN), or is otherwise a nongrantor trust, then the trust will file an income tax return on Form 1041 because it has taxable income for the year (defined as gross income less deductions).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1041#idm140630132225648

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings