Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fcp3
Level 2

Alternative BAsis for LLC in CT not working

Last year CT made LLC taxes optional for out of state residents, using an "alternative basis" on the CT 1065.

TT has that option but last year it would not work and continued to put all income in as CT sourced, even though none was, requiring me to pay CT taxes as as a Massachusetts resident.

I gave up and paid my accountant to do the taxes. She uses Alternative Basis and there was not CT sourced income,so it all "passed through".  Doe anyone know why Alternative Basis didnt work last year and has this been fixed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

A few comments:

• While TT is a solid tax software, the software is geared toward the masses.  Sometimes the more complicated areas have technical issues and may need an intervention.  Did you call TT and ask for assistance?
  • You don't indicate whether you indicated within the software that you wanted to elect the Alternative Basis Calculation.
  • Did you attempt to complete Schedule CT-AB supplemental attachment?
  • At this point in the filing season, many forms and schedules are not final and may not be final for months; this is the result of each state needing to review and approve forms to be released.
  • I would recommend you call TT and ask the specific question.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
fcp3
Level 2

Thank you for your response The ad is blocking some of this but 1) I called TT 3 times. Once I was routed to individual expert who said of course she couldnt help. Call back. Got same run around 2) I tried 2022 again from scratch using Alternative basis. Same result. I can over ride CT income column and get correct result but not sure there is not another glitch somewhere. I may buy 2023 just to see, or do form by hand on CT pdf. I dont think you can submit it online however. As there are no taxes owed it is sorta s formality, so I may do it by hand and “force “ the numbers in the TT forms. Would be nice to save $350 bucks

Sounds unfortunate.

Since I am not on a Windows environment, I can't see the software; only works on Windows.

Based on your response, I would recommend you just prepare the return by hand and paper file the return.  Make sure you send certified mail return receipt requested.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
fcp3
Level 2

Unfortunately CT will not take paper forms for LLCs and the state web page requires third party software!

Do you know if I overide the automatic TT data and input he correct amount will TT still file electronically?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

No. You will not be able to efile if you made overrides.  Why can't I e-file my return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies