Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vendor1

The final Tax return period for C-Corp

I dissolved my C-Corp registered in DE Aug 01, 2017. But my FY is until June 30, 2017. Can I file the final tax return until Dec 15, 2017? Some operations during the period by Oct 11, 2017.Or it should be tax return for FY July 01, 2016- June 30, 2017, and the Final Tax return is going to be file next year?  Also, should I send IRS Form 966 (Corporate Dissolution)? Am I late to do all of this steps? Penalties? Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If it closed August 1st, the corporate due date MIGHT be November 1st (the current due date for a C-corporation with a fiscal year ending on June 30th is 2.5 months after the end of the year).  I'm not 100% sure if that applies for a 'short year', but I would recommend filing an extension by November 15th just to cover it.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f7004.pdf

Yes, a 966 should be filed.  Even though it is late, I'm not aware of any penalties unless it was INTENTIONALLY filed late.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

A return must be filed for the short period beginning with the first day of the corporation's final tax year and ending with the date of termination or dissolution. If the corporation is dissolved, its existence for tax purposes terminates when it ceases to do business and distributes its assets. A corporation may cease to exist for tax purposes even though it has not formally been dissolved for state law purposes; and vice versus. In such cases, the corporation's annual accounting period ends on the date it ceases to have existence for tax purposes. A final tax return is due on the 15th day of the fourth month following the month of termination.  This is the general rule for the changed due dates.  However, the law made an exception of those C corporations that have a fiscal year ended June 30th.  These companies have a ten year extension to change.  Obviously some constituent must have had some influence, but not sure why.

Based on your facts, you indicate that you still had some operations in October 2017, so for tax purposes you are still in existence.  As noted above, your end date for tax purposes is when you cease to do business and have distributed out any remaining assets.  

So based on the above, if your C corporation is dissolved for tax purposes in October 2017, then your final C corporation tax return would be due January 15, 2018.  Based on this, I am not sure when 2017 forms will be released.  If they are not released by your due date of January 15, 2018, I would prepare an extension as recommended by TGB to allow time to prepare your return on 2017 forms.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
mail2

Thank you very much for this answer. Very Very helpful

If it closed August 1st, the corporate due date MIGHT be November 1st (the current due date for a C-corporation with a fiscal year ending on June 30th is 2.5 months after the end of the year).  I'm not 100% sure if that applies for a 'short year', but I would recommend filing an extension by November 15th just to cover it.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f7004.pdf

Yes, a 966 should be filed.  Even though it is late, I'm not aware of any penalties unless it was INTENTIONALLY filed late.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies