Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HKLM

2 business as sole proprietor. 1st one under my SSN, ended that business and then started new using EIN. How to enter this in TurboTax

For the last few years I filled as a sole proprietor using my SSN and paid my employee as a 1099-MISC. Once I received my contractors license in November, I ended that business and started my current business also a sole proprietor but this time I am using a EIN and not my SSN. How do I enter this in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

2 business as sole proprietor. 1st one under my SSN, ended that business and then started new using EIN. How to enter this in TurboTax

Open the "Business" section of your return and let the program walk you through the steps. Under "Business Income and Expenses," you will be able to put in all of your income and expenses for the first company.  You will be able to report that the business was closed and the date.

THEN, you can add another business (the one using your EIN) and input all of the information for that business.

If some or all of your employees worked for both businesses, you will need to issue each of them TWO 1099-MISC.  The first one would be income from January to November (using your SSN) and the second would be for the time you were using your EIN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies