Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally claimed the American Opportunity Credit and have received the refund 2 days ago. Will I receive a penalty or can I fix this just by paying back the IRS?

I misunderstood the qualifications for the AOC and claimed the credit. I found out a few days after filing that I shouldn't have claimed it. I just received the refund and am worried that I will be penalized. I am not sure how serious this is because I did not owe anything else to the IRS. Is there a way that I can fix the problem by just filing an amendment and paying back the money or will I get penalized?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tiki

I accidentally claimed the American Opportunity Credit and have received the refund 2 days ago. Will I receive a penalty or can I fix this just by paying back the IRS?

Yes, you can file an amended return. After you complete the return, send the payment with the forms and you should not be subject to any additional penalties. Please be sure to make sure to amend and pay by April 18th. 

For assistance in getting started with amending your return, see the FAQ below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tiki

Yes, you can file an amended return. After you complete the return, send the payment with the forms and you should not be subject to any additional penalties. Please be sure to make sure to amend and pay by April 18th. 

For assistance in getting started with amending your return, see the FAQ below. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

yrq124

I had the same problem. Did you mean that send the amended tax form with the payment: check, not cash? Thanks
Tiki

You should send the amended return with a check for the over-payment, if there is one.

its best
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies