turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zhiyud

I have filed a tax return by mistake. The form I filled was totally wrong. How can I just cancel the one I filed on Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have filed a tax return by mistake. The form I filled was totally wrong. How can I just cancel the one I filed on Turbotax?

Sorry, once a return has been filed you cannot cancel it or get it back.  If your return gets rejected you can correct any errors and add any information needed & then re-e-file if you want to.

If your return gets accepted, you would have to amend your return to fix any errors or add information. Amended returns must be mailed.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

View solution in original post

You should not mail in another return since you e-filed one, that would make it very confusing with the IRS.  Wait to see if the return you e-filed gets rejected,  If it does then you can mail in your return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sorry, once a return has been filed you cannot cancel it or get it back.  If your return gets rejected you can correct any errors and add any information needed & then re-e-file if you want to.

If your return gets accepted, you would have to amend your return to fix any errors or add information. Amended returns must be mailed.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed
zhiyud

Thanks! But I think I am not qualified for filling e-form at all (I am not US resident). And actually I have prepared to file my form by mail. Will IRS automatically neglect the e-form I sent if they got my mail? Or what will they do if they got both my e-form and my printed form?

You should not mail in another return since you e-filed one, that would make it very confusing with the IRS.  Wait to see if the return you e-filed gets rejected,  If it does then you can mail in your return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies