turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I amended my tax return on the 3rd of February and haven't been given the updated tax form to mail in, what do I do? I was told I would be notified when it was there.

I filed my taxes on the 3rd of February, and both were accepted that morning. Later that day I used TurboTax Online to amend to those returns because I messed something up. I submitted them through TurboTax and was told I would receive an email when the new tax form with my changes was ready to be printed off so I could mail it to the IRS. I have received my refunds already, but haven't gotten any notification of my amendments. What should I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AmyW

If I amended my tax return on the 3rd of February and haven't been given the updated tax form to mail in, what do I do? I was told I would be notified when it was there.

Once the required forms have been finalized, you should receive an e-mail and then you can print and file your amended tax return.

If you want to print your amended return, follow the steps below:

When you mail Form 1040-X you should include the following forms:

• The new (amended) Form 1040
  • Any forms or schedules that were added or changed as a result of preparing the amendment
Please note that 1040-X cannot be e-filed - you will need to mail a paper return.  It takes the IRS up to 16 weeks to process amended returns.  Also, depending on whether the changes affect your numbers, you may also be required to file an amended return with your state.  

The mailing address for your state and situation can be found at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf.  Look under Where to File on page 14. 

The issue is, I finished my amendment on the 3rd, and selected to be emailed by TurboTax when the form was ready to be printed and mailed but I haven’t received an email about it. Should I re-do the amendment?
AmyW

Do you know which form that it is causing the delay?

I’m assuming it’s the 1040, but I have no idea. When I did the amendment I completed it on TurboTax and it just said I’d receive an email when it was ready to be printed and mailed.
AmyW

You can try to go ahead and follow the printing instructions to see if it is missing any forms. It is possible that if you received the e-mail it may have been inadvertently directed to junk or spam by your e-mail provider. Although some forms have not yet been finalized, you should be able to print and mail the amended tax return.

It was the actual 1040X that wasn’t ready until feb 17.  Just print and mail it now.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies