turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I owe taxes: 1. Can I still file next years return? 2. Will I receive a refund? 3. Will they deduct the amount owed from my refund?

I got a letter saying I owed taxes from 2015 this October 2017. The letter was forwarded to my new home and I received it after the reply date the ITS instructed. My question is Can I file 2017’s return and if so will they just deduct the amount owed from my refund 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If I owe taxes: 1. Can I still file next years return? 2. Will I receive a refund? 3. Will they deduct the amount owed from my refund?

You can file a 2017 tax return whether or not you have back taxes owed.  If the 2017 tax return you file has a tax refund then the IRS will seize the refund to pay the back taxes owed along with the penalties and interest that have accrued.  If the refund satisfies the debt the IRS will send you remainder of the refund (if any).  If the tax refund does not satisfy the debt then the IRS will send you a bill in the mail for the remaining tax debt plus penalties and interest on the unpaid taxes.

QuannekaBoyd
Returning Member

If I owe takes because they never received my 8862 from 2019 and I file my 2020 refund will they deduct what was owed before I get my amount before my file was accepted or after 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies