greg_bickel

I received a letter from CA Franchise Tax Board requesting copies of Social Security card, W-2, 1099, drivers license, etc. before they will process return

Why are they asking for this info?  Is this something I need to compile and send to them?
Melaine

You can call the number for the California Franchise Tax Board (800) 852-5711 to verify.  Do not use the number on the letter, you want to verify its authenticity before sending it in.  However, it seems as if you were randomly chosen to have your information verified before they process your return.  States do this from time to time to help deter identify theft. 

fanfare

In other words, it could be a scam. Be careful.