turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nspjr

I end up sending my tax return with my daugther ITIN, but we are residents already. Can I issue the San and amend my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I end up sending my tax return with my daugther ITIN, but we are residents already. Can I issue the San and amend my tax return?

So, you have a problem.  You would need to have the SSN in hand, and file the amended return, before April 15, in order to upgrade her to "qualifying child" dependent and get the $2000 child tax credit (and EIC, if you qualify).

You must have the SSN before you file an "on time" return.  An on time return is filed before April 15, or filed before October 15 if you have the automatic extension.  But, since you have already filed, it is too late to get an extension, and for you, being "on time" means you must file the amended return with the SSN by April 15.

(What you should have done is applied for the SSN and not filed, getting the extension if necessary while you waited.)

I found a US Today story from a while ago suggesting that most SSNs are issued in 4-5 weeks, but it varies depending on where you live.  If you want to make this happen, I suggest you get all your needed documents and proofs and get to the nearest social security office as fast as you can, and hope you get the number by April 15.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You already filed? Transmitted your return?  Was it accepted by the IRS?

How does your child have an ITIN?  Does she also have an SSN or is she eligible for an SSN but doesn't have it yet?
nspjr

Yes, yes and yes. In my return she was marked as other dependent. She has ITIN, but we have permanent residency since last year, so she could have an SSN. If I go to the SSN agency and issue her one now, can I amend my return and claim more credit?

So, you have a problem.  You would need to have the SSN in hand, and file the amended return, before April 15, in order to upgrade her to "qualifying child" dependent and get the $2000 child tax credit (and EIC, if you qualify).

You must have the SSN before you file an "on time" return.  An on time return is filed before April 15, or filed before October 15 if you have the automatic extension.  But, since you have already filed, it is too late to get an extension, and for you, being "on time" means you must file the amended return with the SSN by April 15.

(What you should have done is applied for the SSN and not filed, getting the extension if necessary while you waited.)

I found a US Today story from a while ago suggesting that most SSNs are issued in 4-5 weeks, but it varies depending on where you live.  If you want to make this happen, I suggest you get all your needed documents and proofs and get to the nearest social security office as fast as you can, and hope you get the number by April 15.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies