Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aydentay

Wrong address on tax return. Will that cause a delay? If they needed to send a letter incase something was wrong with my return, how would it get to me?

Street address is to where I live now, city and zip is to where I USE to live last year. I guess I was moving too fast filing. My status is still in "being processed" with tax code 152, but if they needed more info, how would they reach me? And how can i fix it?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

Wrong address on tax return. Will that cause a delay? If they needed to send a letter incase something was wrong with my return, how would it get to me?

Thank you for your questions.  We'll try to talk about all of them in this answer.

First of all, you will probably want to update your address with the IRS as soon as reasonably possible.  After all, if the IRS does ever need to reach you, that is how they will do it (the IRS does not ever call or email individual taxpayers for the initial contact).

If no one has shown you already, you can update your mailing address by any of several different easy methods.  Those are described at the following IRS webpage:

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

With respect to the processing of your tax return and tax topic 152, we can provide this information.

IRS Tax Topic 152 is simply a reference to the following IRS.gov webpage, which discusses IRS processing of tax returns, and gives possible reasons for refund delays.  Here is a direct link to the page:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152.html

That said, the activity you observe on the IRS's "Where's My Refund" website seems normal enough.   There's absolutely no reason to think that you're under review, or that something is wrong with your tax return, so please don't worry or be concerned at this point.   In fact, the messages and bars on the Where's My Refund webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously, or the bars disappear.

Not all tax returns are identical either, and so they move through the IRS processing system at various speeds.  Other factors causing delays and increased refund processing times for many people this year are several new laws and executive orders that the IRS has been charged with implementing, including those of the PATH act.

If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed any message like that, have you?)

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported W-2 data with that separately reported to the IRS by your employer); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best recommended course of action is patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).  Also, as noted above, the 2016 tax year may be particularly slow, due to factors that are outside of our control.

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

Thank you for your questions.  We'll try to talk about all of them in this answer.

First of all, you will probably want to update your address with the IRS as soon as reasonably possible.  After all, if the IRS does ever need to reach you, that is how they will do it (the IRS does not ever call or email individual taxpayers for the initial contact).

If no one has shown you already, you can update your mailing address by any of several different easy methods.  Those are described at the following IRS webpage:

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

With respect to the processing of your tax return and tax topic 152, we can provide this information.

IRS Tax Topic 152 is simply a reference to the following IRS.gov webpage, which discusses IRS processing of tax returns, and gives possible reasons for refund delays.  Here is a direct link to the page:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152.html

That said, the activity you observe on the IRS's "Where's My Refund" website seems normal enough.   There's absolutely no reason to think that you're under review, or that something is wrong with your tax return, so please don't worry or be concerned at this point.   In fact, the messages and bars on the Where's My Refund webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously, or the bars disappear.

Not all tax returns are identical either, and so they move through the IRS processing system at various speeds.  Other factors causing delays and increased refund processing times for many people this year are several new laws and executive orders that the IRS has been charged with implementing, including those of the PATH act.

If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed any message like that, have you?)

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported W-2 data with that separately reported to the IRS by your employer); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best recommended course of action is patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).  Also, as noted above, the 2016 tax year may be particularly slow, due to factors that are outside of our control.

Thank you for asking this question.

March-21

I put the wrong address on my tax returns how can I fix it
March-21

I haven’t moved. I typed in the wrong number of my address how do I fix this
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies