turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will the IRS tell me if I need to amend my return if I qualify for more deductions with the unemployment tax break?

Do I need to recalculate my 2020 taxes myself to see if I need to amend my taxes for additional tax breaks?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Will the IRS tell me if I need to amend my return if I qualify for more deductions with the unemployment tax break?

When the IRS corrects for the unemployment exclusion  they will only adjust items already on the return.   If the exclusion now makes you eligible for a credit not on the original return then YOU are responsible for filing an amended return. 

BEFORE you do anything make sure to save a PDF  &  .taxfile of the filed return for safekeeping  and only then click on the amendment option.  

you'll need to amend if certain credits were not on the original return or even if you can now itemize yo deductions when you used the standard deduction on the original. The IRS doesn't know about things not reported. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies