turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ovoxo0100

Will my refund be denied by the irs cause I forgot to file one of my w2's

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Probably not.  But they will eventually send you a letter asking for it.  So you will need to amend.  You first need to wait until the IRS Accepts or Rejects your original  return.  If they reject it for some reason you can just fix it and resend it.  

If it was Accepted,  you need to wait for your return to be fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.   Then you can mail in an amended return.  Do NOT change anything yet on your return until you start the amended return.   If you have changed it then take out the changes and put it back to the way it was when you originally filed.  

How to Amend a 2016 Online return,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online 

You will still get your original refund or need to pay the first tax due. Then the amended return will only be for the difference you get back or need to pay back.  The Amended return will take up to 16 weeks to process and they only mail checks for refunds.

Bethywethy
Returning Member

I see yall say this repeatedly but my fiance got a late w2 the day he filed and 4 weeks in I called the irs and they said that they sent a letter saying they selected for review which cpuld take 128 days and that he will have to amend it because they may not send the refund without the missing income being reported. He ended up getting 258 dollars less on his refund because of the extra few thousand and even tho he hasn't recieved any refund yet he still has to pay the 258$ difference. So yall should probably check again with the irs because they stated multiple times that the income has to be reported no matter what and not to wait 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I understand what you're saying.  

The general rule is to allow the IRS to completely process the tax return before you do an amendment.  

This is so that there are not two returns being evaluated at the same time.

Your Fiancé was a different situation.  The IRS had his tax return and requested that he file an amended return. 

In that case it was correct for him to comply with the IRS's wishes.

@Bethywethy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies