turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I still receive my federal amended tax return if I do not mail in my state tax information

I am self employed and do not receive any money back from the state when I file taxes so do I still need to send it in before they will give me my amended federal tax return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will I still receive my federal amended tax return if I do not mail in my state tax information

The IRS is not paying any attention to your state return.   The IRS and your state department of revenue operate completely independently and separately.   The only time you would be on the IRS 's radar for state tax is if you owe back tax to the state and the state has put in a request to the IRS to offset your federal refund.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Just be aware ... even if you get no state refund ... that you may still be required to file the state return.  Check your state's filing requirements to see  if you still need to file the state return.  

I am self employed and do not receive any money back from the state

Do you owe state taxes?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies