Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

thartatl

Why don't I have the option to efile my amended 2024 1040X when I e-filed my original 1040 form using TT Desktop version? TT Help says it may not be possible. Reasons?

Generally, you can e-file your amended 2023 federal return via TurboTax if your original return was also e-filed in TurboTax.

However, there's a chance your return can't be e-filed based on your unique situation. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why don't I have the option to efile my amended 2024 1040X when I e-filed my original 1040 form using TT Desktop version? TT Help says it may not be possible. Reasons?

We don’t know the reasons you might not be able to efile an amended return from the Desktop program.  It might depend on why you are amending.  Like you can’t efile to change the Filing Status.

It might need to know that the original return was efiled and Accepted.  You first need to check the filing status inside the program so it knows it was filed and accepted.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close it.  Close the program and reopen it.  

You may need to update the program first.  I saw a post that said the Desktop status issue was fixed so it shows accepted now.  Go to menu Online- Check for updates.

thartatl

Thank you VolvoGirl.  Once I followed your instructions to check the status of my e-file (Accepted) I was able to efile the amended return.  

Thank you for posting back that it worked.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies