Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tflucke

Why does my amended W2 cause my tax liability to go up if my SS and Medicare wages went down?

I got an amended W2 for 2022 from my employer which shows a decrease in boxes 3 and 5 (Social Security and Medicare wages).  I entered the information into TurboTax, but now it's saying that I owe more money.

I don't understand.  If my wages were reduced and I already paid the taxes on the non-reduced amount, shouldn't I get a refund?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why does my amended W2 cause my tax liability to go up if my SS and Medicare wages went down?

If the only amount that changed on the corrected W-2 were the wages in boxes 3 and 5, there is no need to amend the 2022 tax return.  Those amounts are not entered anywhere on your federal tax return.

There is could be one reason.  Do you have more than 1 W2?  If you have more than 1 W2 you might have gone over the SS max and claimed an excess on your original return.  Check if you had an amount on 1040 line 31 which comes from Schedule 3 line 11.   For 2023 the max for Social Security is $9,932.40 on $160,200 of wages.  Then if your SS was reduced you have to pay the excess you claimed back.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies