Solved: Why am i not getting my full refund amount of taxes I paid back?

Why am i not getting my full refund amount of taxes I paid back?

I've only made 12k this year and they are taking $500 out of my refund amount. why? Im 20 years old, supporting myself, i live alone.

my mom claimed me on her taxes, is that why?

Yes, that would be the reason.  When you are single and not being claimed as a dependent, the IRS allows you to deduct a standard deduction of $6,300 and a personal exemption of $4,050 from your income.  So, if you made about $12,000 then the first $10,350 of your income would not be taxed at all.  When you are claimed as a dependent, your personal exemption goes to the person that is claiming you.  So, now you would only get to deduct $6,300 from your $12,000, meaning you are paying tax on almost $6,000 of income now, which is why you are receiving less of your withholding back (because it is being used to pay this tax).