turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

enjrc
Returning Member

Which IRS Address to use to mail Amended Form 8606? The IRS address to mail form 1040 is different from the address to mail form 1040X?

I need to change the basis on Form 8606 line 2 from 2014. This error was carried through to 2015, 2016, and 2017. I was planning on submitting to the IRS just the amended form 8606 for years 2014 through 2017. A previous question was answered that the IRS mailing address to send this form to is the 1040/1040X address. However, the 1040 has its own IRS address, and the 1040X has a different one. Which to send it to?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Which IRS Address to use to mail Amended Form 8606? The IRS address to mail form 1040 is different from the address to mail form 1040X?

8606 instructions

"When and Where To File

File 2018 Form 8606 with your 2018
Form 1040 or 1040NR by the due date,
including extensions, of your return.
If you aren’t required to file an
income tax return but are required to file
Form 8606, sign Form 8606 and send it
to the IRS at the same time and place

you would otherwise file Form 1040 or
1040NR. Be sure to include your
address on page 1 of the form and your
signature and the date on page 2 of the
form."

https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
enjrc
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer. However, I am not submitting the form for the 2018 tax year. I am submitting form 8606 for the following tax years: 2014 through 2017. Do you still think those forms go to the same address where the 2018 form 1040 would go?
enjrc
Returning Member

Thank you for your answer. However, I am not submitting the form for the 2018 tax year. I am submitting form 8606 for the following tax years: 2014 through 2017. Do you still think those forms go to the same address where the 2018 form 1040 would go?

Yes.  The instructions are the same.

Also each year must be filed on the 8606 for that year.  You can get past years 8606 forms here:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/priorFormPublication.html;jsessionid=-bpkQYRgGA_5za_agl56RaTR...>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies