Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which address for 1040 when filing a 1040X.

I am submitting a 1040X for 2018.  I understand I need to also revise the 1040.  Which address do I use for the updated 1040?  Do I use the address that was on it originally or my current address (matches 1040X)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 1040-X reflects all the changes on Form 1040 and becomes your new tax return.

In the case of dependent status, you have to reflect that in Part III Explanation.

The recently new Schedules 1,2,3 must be attached if there are any changes there.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The adjusted Form 1040 is not sent with the Form 1040-X so there is no need for you to change the address on the Form 1040.

From what I read in another post here is that you need to think of the 1040X as a "cover sheet" of sorts and complete it and revise the 1040 to include any changes and submit them both?  Also on irs.gov

To complete Form 1040-X, you will need:

• Form 1040-X and these separate instructions;

• A copy of the return you are amending (for example, 2021 Form 1040), including supporting forms, schedules, and any worksheets you completed;

• Additional supporting forms, schedules, and any worksheets for the return you are amending that you will need to complete to show your changes;

• If applicable, a new Form 1040, 1040-SR, or 1040-NR for the return you are amending (see Resident and nonresident aliens below)

From this, it would seem that I need the 1040X showing the changes, new 1040 with the changes made and the original 1040 that I am amending.

You NEVER send the new 1040 ... column C of the 1040X reflects the information on the corrected 1040.  However if you do send the unneeded 1040 the IRS will just toss it in the circular file.

The program presents the updated 1040 for your use to explain the changes that were made on page 2 of the 1040X  and so that you can see if you made all the correct changes.  It is not meant to go to the IRS. 

I sounds reasonable to me but why do the instruction on IRS.gov say

To complete Form 1040-X, you will need:

• Form 1040-X and these separate instructions;

• A copy of the return you are amending (for example, 2021 Form 1040), including supporting forms, schedules, and any worksheets you completed;

• Additional supporting forms, schedules, and any worksheets for the return you are amending that you will need to complete to show your changes;

The TT instructions state to

"Be sure to attach all forms or schedules that changed to your amended return. "

Do I attached the form 1040 that changed or leave it out as you suggest?

@tmiller1973 wrote:

The TT instructions state to

"Be sure to attach all forms or schedules that changed to your amended return. "

Do I attached the form 1040 that changed or leave it out as you suggest?

As we have all stated the Form 1040 that was amended does not need to be included with the mailed Form 1040-X.

However, if you feel more comfortable including the amended Form 1040 with the Form 1040-X please do so.

Form 1040-X reflects all the changes on Form 1040 and becomes your new tax return.

In the case of dependent status, you have to reflect that in Part III Explanation.

The recently new Schedules 1,2,3 must be attached if there are any changes there.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies