turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Where to file 1040X: 1040 to 1040NR

Hello, I figured I needed to file 1040NR, instead of 1040. I filed 1040 3 days ago, and I am thinking about filing the amended return now. Can I do that? Also, do I need to attach the old 1040, W-2s, and other forms with the amended? And where should I mail it to?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply
Expert Alumni

Where to file 1040X: 1040 to 1040NR

TurboTax does not support a 1040NR. If you need to amend the 1040 and then file 1040NR, you can do so with the form/ instructions links below. 

You don't include the original return, but do include copies of W-2, 1099's and other forms along with the 1040X and 1040NR forms.

Note: Wait until the original return is fully processed before mailing an amended return. This will avoid IRS processing errors. Once the original return is processed, mail to the processing center listed on page 15 of the 1040X instructions along with your 1040NR to:

Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Center, Austin, TX 73301-0215



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies