Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is my tax return? Where is my refund ?

Hi, I filed my federal return by mail in Oct. 2021 under tax extension, and after 3 months later I haven't received my refund. Then, I checked my refund status in IRS website by clicking the blue  " Check My Refund Status" button and input my information,  but the website tells me ""We cannot provide any information about your refund "  I tried a few times and I am sure I input correct information, but got the same results. The search results tells me  that it looks like  the IRS system doesn't have my tax return information. I am starting to worried about my return. Where is my return? To make sure my return sent to IRS safely on the way, I did mail my return in certified mail and I even spent extra dollars to request a returning receipt to be signed and returned back to me.  My return was delivered successfully by UPS and the returning receipt stamped by IRS was returned to me. This means IRS did receive my return.  But now the IRS refund search result tells me no information of my return was found. I understand because of Covi19 pandemic, the processing time will be longer. The issue now looks like my return is not even in IRS system! Where is my return?! Where is my refund?  I called IRS  refund line but it is a automated phone line, and I got the  same results as the one by searching IRS online. What should I do now?  I really appreciate your help.  Thank you so much. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
BrandiLO1
Intuit Alumni

I suggest contacting a local Taxpayer Advocate. For a list of locations, please click here.

The IRS refund site has stopped showing anything for 2020 refunds and will now only show information for 2021 refunds.   it is taking months----six months or more--- for the IRS to process mailed returns.   You mailed it in October so --sorry-- you are still going to be waiting awhile.   You know the IRS received your return, so all you can do is wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much for your information.  I also found IRS website has local office by appointment only. I wonder if should I contact IRS local office or a local Taxpayer Advocate. Are they the same?  Please advise. Thank you. 

I think you should just be more patient.   The severely backlogged IRS does not want phone calls and only answers a small percent of them.   But if you want to call them or contact an Advocate

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

TAX ADVOCATE

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much for your answer. Now, it makes  sense that no wonder I got the searching results.  Thanks.

I have two related questions:

1. A friend of mine suggested me to resend a copy of my 2020yr tax return but mark it as a "COPY" version. Basically, I doubt this is a correct way to resolve this issue because IRS website in refund says "Don’t file a second tax return " , and this might create even more confusion. but I am not 100% sure. please advise. Thank you.

2. Ask a general question. Generally, if IRS does not receive a tax payer's tax return past due, or a person forgot to file a tax return for some reason, will IRS send a notice to the tax payer later on ? The reason I have this question is that if IRS received my return but somehow forgot to input my tax return into system (this might happen even in very small probability) , will I receive a letter / notice someday in future from IRS?.  If this is the case, as least, I think I have a chance to make explanations to IRS. Thank you so much. 

For 2020 returns, Jan 18, 2022 I copied this from an article online...

The difficulty this season – which officially begins Jan. 24 – stems from a massive pileup of unprocessed returns accrued during the pandemic. In her report, Collins estimated the IRS had a backlog of more than 8.6 million unprocessed individual income tax returns and 2.8 million business returns as of mid-December. It also had close to 5 million pieces of unanswered mail. By comparison, the IRS usually enters the tax-filing season with fewer than 1 million remaining items to address.

There are several reasons for the delays. The IRS was grappling with office closures as well as the Herculean task of delivering millions of stimulus checks in 2020 and 2021, all while trying to adapt to major changes to the tax code in the middle of the filing season. The agency is also grossly understaffed; it has 20,000 fewer staff than it did in 2010, and its budget is roughly $11.4 billion – 20% less than it was in 2010, when adjusted for inflation, according to the Congressional Budget Office. 

On top of that, more than 20% of the IRS customer service workforce has been unable to work for pandemic-related health reasons over the last two years.

Thank you so much for your information! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies