Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where do you file the middle class tax refund?

i tried resubmitting today as it said 1/27 or later and still got rejected, does anyone know if the bug fix has been applied?

I tried going into my federal return using the instructions provided but there isn’t anything new to fix this. The information they provided didn’t have a code, did yours? This year Turbo Tax seemed difficult :( 

I did that and got rejected and it says that on 01-27-23 there would be a fix available but there is no fix yet.

Anyone here from Turbo Tax that can tell us when that fix will be available?   Shouldn't take that long to add a field to the form for this thing.

For me, as of todays update Jan 27th,  Turbo Tax Deluxe PC version now has the payment on Schedule 1, Line 8Z.  It shows  CA Payment 1050.00, then right below it CA Payment- general welfare exclusion -1050.00. So the amount on 8z is zero. There isn't anything in Part II for adjustments.

Also, the question on the CA state return about the payment is gone from the miscellaneous section. It was there before.

I have not tried to transmit my return because I also use CAL FILE for the state. The problem there is, it is deducting the MCTR from the FED AGI and messing up the State AGI which it causing the tax to be wrong. CALFILE won't let you enter Zero on the question, it has to be 200 to 1050.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Thank you! I will look at Line 8z next.  You would think that since it is a 1099-Misc that it would go on the federal right in the same area where a CA refund shows up. Maybe I should have waited to file until all the “bugs” were worked out! 😂 

jessciaz7

Has anyone been able to file their California tax return? Mine keeps giving me an error CA_MCTR_Payment, details are not available. 

I cannot locate the form under misc.

i just filed under calfile but im having issues with federal return because of the mctr payment. turbo tax is the issue because california already issued my payment.

jessciaz7

This is the last year I use turbo tax. They have been a bad experience! 

I was able to enter my MTC in the ferderal under 1099 MISC 

1/27/2023 update

Enter the CA Middle Class Tax Rebate on a 1099Misc and put the amount in box 3. It will show up as Other Income on Schedule 1 line 8z and also as a separate negative amount to zero it out.

Go to Federal > Wages & Income, you might need to continue though the general screens.
When you come to the Wages - Your Income screen click on Add Income or
scroll down to Other Common Income, then 1099Misc.
Put the amount in box 3 and follow the prompts.

The next screen says…..
Do any of the uncommon situations apply? In my Desktop program the 3rd item listed is California Middle Class Tax Refund.

When you click on that then at the bottom it will say....The California Middle Class Tax Refund (MCTR) will not be taxable on your California or federal returns. It will show up as Other Income on Schedule 1 line 8z and also as a separate negative amount to zero it out.

On my 1040 schedule 1 line 8z it is now labeled CA payment 700 and the next line it says CA payment - general welfare exclusion -700.  So a net 0.

You don't have to do anything on the California return.  It will be excluded automatically.

I did all that and still rejected

People are posting that Customer Service told them the efile rejection is suppose to be fixed on Monday Jan 30.  So try Efiling after Monday.

there is s0 communication. no post. no header. nothing. its almost as if like it isnt a problem... but it is a problem.

I reviewed the info again and resent it but was rejected again!

it says now to wait until January 30 to review

Thank you! I have to get away from it for a few days and hopefully the real fix will be in! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies