Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did an amendment

I recently did an amendment and now it is staying that I am getting a lot less back and none in the state.  The difference that was made was because of my 401k. Will I be getting two checks now?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

I did an amendment

When you start the amend process, the refund that is shown in TurboTax is reset to zero. 

You will still get the original refund. The amended return will show the difference you owe, or that you will get back as a refund (in your case, in addition to the original refund amount). You will get two separate refunds, rather than just one.  

You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. On Line 18 you should find your original refund amount and on line 21 you should see your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Heather14

I did an amendment

When you start the amend process, the refund that is shown in TurboTax is reset to zero. 

You will still get the original refund. The amended return will show the difference you owe, or that you will get back as a refund (in your case, in addition to the original refund amount). You will get two separate refunds, rather than just one.  

You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. On Line 18 you should find your original refund amount and on line 21 you should see your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies