Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaun7707

Original VS Amended Tax Return Value

I recently filed my taxes and received a return > $0.00. However, I forgot that I had other tax documents to report, and so I had to amend my return. During the amend process, I noticed that the estimated return numbers on the left of my screen, went from some value > $0.00 to exactly $0.00. Since I have already received the original return value, does this mean that amending will cause no change to the amount I received, or does this mean that my original return should have been $0.00, and that I now owe all that I was given as part of the original return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
EricG1

When you start an Amendment, the program assumes that you have already received your refund and because of this, it zeros out your amount. After then, any amount that appears will be the difference between your original return and your Amendment. Green numbers equal more refund coming to you; red equals a difference you must pay back. If you have nothing in there after you've completed your Amendment, then you receive nothing, but owe nothing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
EricG1

When you start an Amendment, the program assumes that you have already received your refund and because of this, it zeros out your amount. After then, any amount that appears will be the difference between your original return and your Amendment. Green numbers equal more refund coming to you; red equals a difference you must pay back. If you have nothing in there after you've completed your Amendment, then you receive nothing, but owe nothing.

So then when filing an amended return, if the anticipated refund is now less than the original refund (but has not yet been received), do I need to submit payment for the difference? Let's say I was expecting a $1000 refund, but after amendments, my refund should only be $900. Do I need to mail $100 with my amended return?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies