turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What forms do I need to attach to an amended return?

I e-filed my 2017 return, then later received a 1099-R that indicated an adjustment to my taxable income.  When filing my amended return, do I need to attach ALL statements of income (W2s and 1099-Rs) to the 1040, or just the form that forced the amendment?  Does this answer hold true for state forms (Virginia) as well?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KiaraE

When you have prepared your amended return and are ready to mail Form 1040-X you should include the following forms:

• The new (amended) Form 1040
  • Any forms or schedules that were added or changed as a result of preparing the amendment

You will need to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS before filing an amended return. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued or you receive your direct deposit.   

In regards to your state:

If you or IRS amends your federal return, under the Code of Virginia § 58.1-1812 you are required to amend your Virginia return. The IRS reports changes to federal returns to Virginia Tax. To avoid additional interest on any tax due (if applicable), file your amended Virginia return as soon as you are notified of a change to your federal income tax return by the IRS.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/amending-yo9

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KiaraE

When you have prepared your amended return and are ready to mail Form 1040-X you should include the following forms:

• The new (amended) Form 1040
  • Any forms or schedules that were added or changed as a result of preparing the amendment

You will need to wait until your original tax return is processed by the IRS before filing an amended return. If you are receiving a refund, you should wait until the check is issued or you receive your direct deposit.   

In regards to your state:

If you or IRS amends your federal return, under the Code of Virginia § 58.1-1812 you are required to amend your Virginia return. The IRS reports changes to federal returns to Virginia Tax. To avoid additional interest on any tax due (if applicable), file your amended Virginia return as soon as you are notified of a change to your federal income tax return by the IRS.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/amending-yo9

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies