turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tstrobelt

I amended my tax return and got a new federal refund amount. Is this my new refund amount, or is this new total added to what was shown before I amended my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ShannonC

I amended my tax return and got a new federal refund amount. Is this my new refund amount, or is this new total added to what was shown before I amended my return?

When you amend your return the refund meter drops to zero and begins to calculate the difference between your original return and the information you have added.

If it shows a refund amount and:

• You received a refund on your original return, then this amount is additional and you will receive a payment for the additional amount.
  • You owed taxes on the original return, this is the amount you over paid. The IRS will issue a payment to you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ShannonC

When you amend your return the refund meter drops to zero and begins to calculate the difference between your original return and the information you have added.

If it shows a refund amount and:

• You received a refund on your original return, then this amount is additional and you will receive a payment for the additional amount.
  • You owed taxes on the original return, this is the amount you over paid. The IRS will issue a payment to you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies