Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the IRS says it is releasing funds on the 15th, is that the day the money is sent to us or does it means something else? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When the IRS says it is releasing funds on the 15th, is that the day the money is sent to us or does it means something else? Thanks.

Refunds Delayed for Some Taxpayers

A law change that went into effect this year requires the IRS to hold refunds on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) until at least Feb. 15. Still, even with this change, the fastest way to get a refund is to file electronically and choose direct deposit. Even though the IRS will begin releasing EITC and ACTC refunds on Feb. 15, many early filers will still not have actual access to their refunds until at least the week of Feb. 27. The additional delay is due to several factors including the time needed by banks to process direct deposits.

Under this change, required by the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS must hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC and ACTC. This change helps ensure that taxpayers get the refund they are owed by giving the IRS more time to help detect and prevent fraud. Taxpayers should file as usual, and tax return preparers should submit returns as they normally do. Beginning a few days after Feb. 15, affected taxpayers can check the status of their refund by visiting IRS.gov/Refunds and clicking on Where's My Refund? Or using the IRS2Go mobile app.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/2016-tax-changes

Yeah, but does that mean they will send the money to us on the 15th or are there other processes they have to go through before the money is sent directly to us.  The reason I ask is because I've been told that only the update will happen on the 15th..

See answer below..

Taxpayers will begin to see refunds claiming EITC/ACTC the week of Feb. 27. “Where’s My Refund?” will update for EITC/ACTC refunds beginning Feb. 16, with the vast majority updating by Feb. 18.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/avoid-the-rush-use-irsgov-for-quick-answers-to-questions 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies