Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When checking my amended return status on the irs site, when it asks do I use my original tax return amount or the amended amount or the total of both amounts? TY!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When checking my amended return status on the irs site, when it asks do I use my original tax return amount or the amended amount or the total of both amounts? TY!

@ ShinShin_1 wrote:

Thank you, no I meant when using the check your [amended] refund tool, you have to input your SSN, d.o.b., and the exact amount of your return for the current year [or year you're asking about] so do I put the amount from my 2023 return, the new amended amount, or the total of both, please?

It sounds like you may be using the wrong IRS lookup tool.   To check on an amended return you do NOT use the regular IRS "Where's My Refund" tool.  i.e., you do NOT use the same tool that use to look up an original return.   The tool to check on "Where's My Amended Return" is in a different location on the IRS site (see link below) and shouldn't ask for any refund amount at all.   It only asks for SSN, date of birth, and zip/postal code.   Then when you click "Continue," the next screen asks what tax year.   Then after selecting that, it provides the status.  I don't believe it asks anywhere for a refund amount.

Here's a link to the IRS status tool for an amended return. 

IRS "Where's My Amended Return?"

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take four months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You will only enter the refund on the amended return line 22. 

Thank you, no I meant when using the check your [amended] refund tool, you have to input your SSN, d.o.b., and the exact amount of your return for the current year [or year you're asking about] so do I put the amount from my 2023 return, the new amended amount, or the total of both, please?

@ ShinShin_1 wrote:

It sounds like you may be using the wrong IRS lookup tool.   To check on an amended return you do NOT use the regular IRS "Where's My Refund" tool.  i.e., you do NOT use the same tool that use to look up an original return.   The tool to check on "Where's My Amended Return" is in a different location on the IRS site (see link below) and shouldn't ask for any refund amount at all.   It only asks for SSN, date of birth, and zip/postal code.   Then when you click "Continue," the next screen asks what tax year.   Then after selecting that, it provides the status.  I don't believe it asks anywhere for a refund amount.

Here's a link to the IRS status tool for an amended return. 

IRS "Where's My Amended Return?"

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

to @mesquitebean 

• Thank you! I'm not sure how I had gotten to the wrong tool, but I used the link you provided and finally was able to check! Thanks again! & thank you to all that had replied @xmasbaby0 , @Critter-3 
  • I appreciate you all & hopefully I haven't forgotten anyone.

You're welcome.  Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies