Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

okposo21

What to do with unfixable AGI issue now that deadline for extension has passed?

I just found out this morning that the taxes I filed on Monday did not go through. I have never had this issue before so I didn't think to check. "IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

So I followed the instructions and checked my last Turbo Tax year and my AGI was correct. Re-submitted, got the same rejection. So I guess the IRS has a different number on file? I go to IRS.gov to get transcript online. While creating an account, it asks to verify my identity with a credit card. I try three different credit cards, none work, and now my account has been BLOCKED.

So now what?!? I have no clue why my AGI doesn't work. I can't access my 2019 return. What are my options here? Will printing and mailing be too late? Can I still file for an extension? Am I going to get into any legal trouble or have to pay fines for being late? I'm lost.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If no taxes are owed or you are receiving a tax refund there is no penalty for filing after the due date.

An extension request can no longer be submitted.

Since the IRS has rejected your e-filed 2020 tax return for the 2019 AGI, enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI and e-file the 2020 tax return again.

If the IRS also rejects the tax return for this 2019 AGI then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

okposo21

I do owe taxes.

My concern with printing and mailing is timeliness. Will they still be accepted this late? Will I need to pay any additional fines or go through any additional steps?

@okposo21 wrote:

I do owe taxes.

My concern with printing and mailing is timeliness. Will they still be accepted this late? Will I need to pay any additional fines or go through any additional steps?

The IRS will accept a tax return regardless of when it is sent.

Any penalty will be assessed by the IRS and they will send you a bill in the mail.  

Go to this IRS website for penalty information - https://www.irs.gov/payments/penalties

okposo21

Thanks for the quick replies.

So this AGI stuff is nothing to worry about as far as audits or anything else are concerned? It's just an online tax-filing security thing?

@okposo21 wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.

So this AGI stuff is nothing to worry about as far as audits or anything else are concerned? It's just an online tax-filing security thing?

Correct.  The AGI is only used by the IRS to verify that the tax return being filed belongs to the taxpayer entered on the return.  The AGI is your electronic signature on an e-filed tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies