-- I assume I enter the amount of money for the STATE tax return (i.e., the amount of money that I see for "amount to be refunded in the tax return document" I received this year from last year's tax return(2019 Tax return)? or is it something else?
2. Total of all your payments and withholding
--I am not sure where exactly I can find it. Is it something I can find it on 2019 tax return doc or W-2 last year or this year? If so, which section exactly?
Thank you so much!
Correct. Refunds received in 2020 are refunds you received last calendar year from your 2019 and prior years tax returns. Most times, it will only be your 2019 refund. Sometimes people get refunds for more than one year, e.g. if they amend a return.
You can find total payments and withholding on your 2019 state income tax return in the payments and credits section. It includes:
- Amounts withheld on your W-2, W-2G, and 1099
- Estimated tax payments for 2019
- Add any paid in 2020 for 2019 (it's common for the fourth quarterly payment to be made in January).
- Overpayment from 2018 applied toward your 2019 return
- Payments made with an extension of time to file
- Payments made when you filed your return
- Refundable credits
Thanks so much! Do I need to look at the Federal Tax Return document or Michigan (my state) Tax Return document for those? I entered the amount from Michigan Tax Return document since the question had "STATE/local tax returns." Should I have entered the amount from Federal Tax Return instead? Unfortunately, I have just submitted the online return form,, if it was Federal one that I should I have entered, what should I do?
You are correct. The amount entered should be the amount of the Michigan refund. No amendment would be necessary.
For more information, see: Are State Tax Refunds Taxable? | The TurboTax Blog