March 13, 2018 1:34 PM
last updated March 13, 2018 1:34 PM
Does code 1541 mean I'm being audited? I'm not sure what could be wrong with my return. Has anyone else had this issue and what was the code for?
March 14, 2018 4:16 PM
Yes, Bogart is on the right track. The code 1541 is a generic internal code used by the IRS to identify returns that have been "Delayed". There are different reasons accounting for the 1541 reference number; so not everyone’s reason will be the same. And it does not always mean that there is something wrong with your return. The most general reason is typically that they have a backlog of returns and are behind on processing.
However, some other reasons that are generally related to this code:
- You claimed Earned Income Credit (those were held til mid-Feb before they begin processing)
- Hold due to a current or prior year return that was filed incorrectly
- Hold on current return to resolve past filing issues if there are prior year returns you didn’t file
- Filed and you owe past due obligation (i.e. federal/state taxes owed from prior years, child support, student loans, etc.)
- IRS has an overflow of returns at this time and maybe behind schedule
You call the IRS tax refund hotline at 800-829-4477, Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Or, call the 24-hour assistance number at 800-829-1040 and mention the reference the code 1541 to them and they can provide you with further details.
February 13, 2019 7:13 AM
I have the same code and I get different answers from the very rude people st the irs. They first told me it was because of claiming EITC and ctc now they are telling me wait 45 days from feb 25th because it’s under review
February 16, 2019 9:40 AM
I received the same message this morning. Im really confused about this. The IRS is closed until Tues. I have other friends who have the EIC and they have not gotten this message😱😱
February 17, 2019 12:23 AM
I contacted the IRS last Tue after looking at my status online. I was told my return was being delayed due to the EIC. The customer service agent also stated that the status on my account should update after Feb 15.