Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does tax topic 152 mean exactly and not answering with geneal

I believe this is what is happening to me now.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

If you were showing Tax Topic 152 simply means your return is still in the processing stage and topics and bars disappearing mean the process is moving along.

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok so I do not have any child credits or earned income credits.  Would there be any other credits that would cause this delay?  Like I said before my return was accepted by turbo tax on January 31 and here it is February 22.  Just trying to get some answers that is why I use turbo tax!!!!!!  

If there is any kind of issue will I see another topic number other than 152?

Do you have any earned income credits or child credits?  I do not

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, TurboTax does not receive updates from the IRS once tax returns are accepted.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

Why do some refunds take longer than others?

Continue checking the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

Zeer25

Last week I went from one bar to no bars  saying still be processed  with TT 152 and amount is there 

this week TT disappeared and no TT pop up checked both the app and online.  

smadlock

How long does it usually take to go from Return Received to Refund Approved status?

I have been waiting since 1/31 tax topic 152 and still processing since about mid February.  I have no child credits nor earned income!!  IRS said they are just still processing and there are no issues they could see.  Transcript says N/A for return so they are still processing g.  Just do t understand why it is taking this long

Turbo tax really no bed this year!!  I filed and was accepted on 1/31/20 I have been waiting for a refund or some answers.  I finally talked to a lady at IRS and she said that my return did not transmit correctly from turbo tax and she is seeing a lot of this happening this year.  So they have to manually do y return and it will take 8 weeks from time I filed.  Thanks!!  I knew something g was wrong bc I have no child credits nor eic

Turbo tax did bad not bed🤣

I filed February 11. IRS accepted within 24 hours. I get topic 152 with no date available.  What is going on?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Tax Topic 152 is general refund information. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in the normal time frame which is less than 21 days. However, it’s possible that some tax returns may require further review and could take longer to arrive. Please see the information below about Tax Topic 152: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc152

Ashleilei

How long does it take to get your refund if you get thisTopic No. 152 Refund Information every time you check the status, will it be longer than 21 days?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Ashleilei Unfortunaltey, the timeframe seems to be different for everyone depending on your specific tax situation. Tax Topic 152 means that the IRS needs additional time to process your return and issue a refund. You can read more about it on the IRS website: Topic No. 152 Refund Information | Internal Revenue Service

If you were showing Tax Topic 152 simply means your return is still in the processing stage and topics and bars disappearing mean the process is moving along.

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

The IRS started processing returns later than in prior years and as such has a backlog to work through. They also just recently started processing returns claiming EIC and/or ACTC.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent.  At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date.

Some 2019 federal refunds are delayed due to the PATH Act

there are many people experiencing this long delay unfortunately. Here is a link that customers are posting on with updates: Path Act Customer updates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies