turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgood1365

What does it mean when the Where’s my refund displays a Action Required and says you may have to verify identification

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

What does it mean when the Where’s my refund displays a Action Required and says you may have to verify identification

This article should help: Tips for Handling Identity Verification Requests From the IRS 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What happens if I havent received a letter from the IRS? and if so, how long does it take for them to mail out a letter ?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

We at TurboTax don't know how long it takes the IRS to send you an Identity Verification Letter.   They may end up verifying your identity without assistance from you, and you won't receive a letter at all.  You'll then see your status go to 'In Process' at the Where's My Refund? link. 

You may want to contact your local IRS Office if more than 60 days goes by without a letter, or a status change.

Here's more info on Identity and Tax Return Verification. 

@Claude Loz

Hello,

I ran into the same issue today. It asked me to verify my information but no letter at all. I did verify my information through ID.me system the IRS uses so would that be more than enough for them? Assuming I never get a letter by mail. I also want to add that when I went back into the IRS page it asked me for a control number but again, no paper notices nor notices through their page.

Thank you!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an FAQ about handling identity verification requests from the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies